Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A long and winding road

As promised, here is the condensed version of how a biology major destine for a career as a naturalist ended up as a marketing executive.  During my junior year I discovered computers.  In the early 80s the PC was new on the seen and the computer world was the place to be.  I picked up a second major of computer science and made the call to shift focus and feed my passion for the natural world with my hobbies, rather than my vocation.  A short stint in PC sales lead ended with the advent of the computer super stores.  I then found a role as a faculty computer consultant at a small liberal arts university.  The university IT dept. was a great place.  Lots of opportunities to work with folks in all academic disciplines and plenty of new toys to play with each year.  While there I was convinced by a friend in the business school to pursue my MBA (free tuition was a wonderful perk).  Shortly before completely my MBA I was wooed away by corporate America taking on a sales engineering job for a niche service provider.  By now it was the peak of the Internet bubble.  It was a fun ride up, and then a wild ride back down to earth.  Through a series of mergers and acquisitions I ended up working for one of the largest global telecom companies and had moved from sales to marketing as opportunities arose and my interests changed.  So there you have it, my career story in 250 words or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment