Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Immerse Yourself in the Wonder and Beauty of Nature

The day after Thanksgiving I wanted to do something special with my boys and my parents who were visiting from Ohio.  I was an avid birder in my youth and continue to enjoy birding, albeit far more casually today.  So we drove out to the Pocosin Lakes National Wildlife Refuge to see the Tundra Swans that winter over in flocks by the thousands, even tens of thousands.  I had always wanted to see this spectacular gathering of stately white birds.  The brief video clip does not do it justice.  It was shot from a long distance at full zoom, but I hope it will give a sense of the scene.  The real joy came in hearing by nine year old say "Wow! that is amazing".  We all need to stay connected to the joy and wonder of nature as seen through the eyes of a child.  No mater where you live, you can find the wonder and beauty of nature every day, if you just take the time to look.  Even city dwellers can find it in the shape and color of a leaf in the park, or the exquisite architecture of a spider's web in the kitchen window.  Make it a point each day to look for natural beauty in your world.  Take a picture and share it with your friends.  See the world, if just for a moment through the eyes of your inner-child and touch that sense of wonder within you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment