Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

LED Lighting, now a real option.

On a recent trip to my local big-box home improvement store I was delighted to find that the selection of LED replacement bulbs had easily doubled, if not tripled since I last looked at bulbs.  They are now available in most sizes, bases, and application types where you would use an incandescent bulb.  Better yet, the prices have really started to come down, some under $15.  If you look at the cost savings from reduced energy usage (uses 10-15% of the power of a traditional bulb of similar light output) and the fact that they way longer, it really does make sense to start installing LED bulbs as your CFLs and incandescent burn out.  I am currently testing a GU10 base LED in my 4" recessed ceiling lights and a candelabra base flame tip LED in a decorative pendent in the kitchen.  The light quality and brightness are quite nice.  The no brainer application for LED replacement bulbs is for those hard to reach fixtures.  I have a dual flood light fixture under the eve on the corner of my 2. 1/2 house.  Changing those flood bulbs requires getting out a very large and heavy ladder.  With LED bulbs in there, I won't have to worry about replacing them for many years to come.  Where have (or could) you use LED replacement bulbs in your home or office?

1 comment:

  1. Good info. We use them in about 25% of our light fixtures. I sometimes worry about them burning before they actually go out. We had that happen where the bulb started smoking but still was on. Maybe it was just a bad "egg."

    ReplyDelete