Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day: A day to give thanks for our mothers, including Mother Earth

As I sit here sipping my cool ale from an aptly named brewery for the day, my thoughts obviously turn to my own mother, and my wife, the mother of my children.  I am truly blessed to have these two women in my life.  

"Atalanta Fugiens - Emblem 2d" by User:Mattes - Own book scan of Alexander Roos: Alchemie & Mystik, Taschen, 2007, Köln u.a.: TASCHEN, ISBN 978-3-8228-5035-0, p. 10. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Atalanta_Fugiens_-_Emblem_2d.jpg#/media/File:Atalanta_Fugiens_-_Emblem_2d.jpgThe term/concept of "Mother Earth" can be traced back to the Greeks in the 13th or 12th century BC, so it has been with us for some time.  Where a human mother gives birth to a child, feeds it, clothes it, and generally provides for it, with little or no expectation of return (except in the extreme cases).   So too our Mother Earth has brought forth all living things, provides the resources to feed and sustain all living things.  It is an appropriate comparison, for the Earth demands nothing from those you draw from her bounty.  But like our own mothers, we need to give back for all that she has given us, and not overtax her.  It is Mother's Day, tell your mother you love her, and do something special for and for our Mother Earth as well.  Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment