Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Environmental Protection Legislation & Enforcement - why can't it be easier

I have been a proponent of strong environmental protection policy at the local, state and federal levels for years.   Until recently, I have rarely been personally involved in achieving compliance, aside from emission testing for annual auto registration, which was always quite easy.

I am now in the process of preparing to build a second garage on my 2 acre lot and have run smack into county ordinances for storm-water management, put in place to protect our valuable watersheds.  The policy/code was put in place to assure that builders do not adversely impact the ecosystems of our streams, rivers and lakes or the use of those waterways as municipal water supplies.  Given my understanding of non-point source pollution and siltation, I completely understand the need and desirability of having policies and processes to assure builders develop in a responsible manner.  What I am now struggling with is the complexity and expense required to comply with these policies for individual homeowners, even responsible, conservation-minded ones like me.


In order to build the garage, and there-by add to the impervious surface area of my lot, I must have a survey done to calculate the percentage of impervious surface (house, driveway, walks, patios, decks, anything you drive or park on).  If the calculated area is over the limit, and for me it is, given my proximity to stream and local municipal reservoir, I now need to hire an engineering firm to design a storm-water management system to remediate the increased runoff that will be caused my the roof area of the new garage.


I was planning on placing a rain water holding tank on the garage anyway, but now I have to pay someone to analyze the site (surface areas, soil types, cover type, etc) to determine the size and type of system required. I will also have to pay a fee to the county to review and process my proposed solution ($400).  So, here I am trying to do the right thing and I have to wade through a sea of red tape and fees.  There has to be a better way to streamline and encourage smart development, while still assuring we have the safeguards in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment